Best Entryway Rugs
The entryway is the preview of your home, and this area can also call a foyer or entrance hall. The guests' first impressions about the house begin to form in this area because this area generally reflects the style of the home. The entryway must be functional and look beautiful. Rugs add color and pattern to your entrance area; they are indispensable for decoration. Entryway generally has high traffic, so choosing the right rug is essential. When you come from outside, your shoes may be dirty; you may have been in the rain, you may have stepped in the mud; for these reasons, you should especially choose entryway rugs that are easy to clean. In this article, we have prepared a guide for you to choose the right entryway rug, keep reading!
Types of Entryway Rugs
Entryway rugs are chosen according to the size and shape of the space. There are three types of entryway rugs that are generally known and preferred. This section will cover the kinds of entryway rugs - runner rugs, doormat rugs, and area rugs.
Area rugs are often used in large areas such as living rooms and bedrooms due to their size. If you have a large entryway, you can use area rugs to cover a large floor area. Rectangular area rugs are often used in large entrances, but also round rugs and oval rugs are great options for large entries. The size of the entryway area rugs ranges from 3x5 to 9x13, depending on the size of the area. These rugs make the entrance attractive with their colors and patterns.
Runner rugs are an excellent option for entryways, long and narrow hallways. Runner rugs are generally 2-3 fit width and 5-14 fit length.
Doormats are small and usually rectangular rugs designed to fit in front of the entrance door. Standard doormat sizes are 18x30 inches and 24x36 inches. When choosing Doormat rugs, you should first take care that they are durable because these rugs are used to wipe shoes and catch dirt and moisture.
The entryway generally has doors and cabinets, and these are often caught in the rug as it opens and closes. It can be frustrating that your front door gets caught on your rug every time you open the door. If you choose a high pile rug as an entryway rug, you will have made the mistake because high pile rugs are very likely to get caught on your door. In addition, the entryway is a high traffic area, a high pile rug will hold the dirt and dust there, and it won't be easy to clean. That's why we recommend choosing low pile rugs for the entryway. Low pile rugs do not get stuck on your door and are very easy to clean.
Sizes and Shapes
Entryways are often of different sizes and shapes, and to choose a rug suitable for the space, you must first know the shape and size of the entrance.
- Before deciding on the size of your entryway rug, you should first measure the size of your space because it affects your decoration. For example, if you have a large entryway and buy a 2x3 rug, it will be small for your area, and it will look strange in the area.
- Decide how much flooring you want to show! Generally, entryways with large areas leave a floor space of at least 18 inches between the edge of the rug and the wall. Less space is left for smaller entrances.
- To choose the perfect entryway rug, you should select the shape of the rug according to the shape of the space. E.g., If you have a long and narrow entryway, a runner rug would be a great option. Or if you have a rectangular and large area, area rugs are more suitable.
- Oval entryway rugs or round entryway rugs will also look great if your entryway is large.
The rug material to be purchased for the entryway is essential. The entrance is a high-traffic area, so the rugs used in this area must be resistant to dirt, abrasions, and moisture. Choosing a durable and easy-to-clean material will ensure that your entryway rug will last and retain its beauty. In particular outdoor rugs are a good choice for an entryway, as they are made of materials that are highly durable and often easy to clean.
Some natural and synthetic fabric materials such as wool, polypropylene, nylon, jute are very suitable for this area as they are durable and easy to clean. Sensitive materials such as silk, fur, leather are not appropriate for entryway rugs. Since these materials can wear out easily, they should be used in areas with less traffic.
The best materials for entryway rugs are;
- Wool is the best choice for entryway rugs because wool is a natural fiber, making it stain and moisture-resistant. It's also has soft texture! Wool rugs are easy to clean; they can be easily cleaned with soapy water and a cloth.
- Jute entrance rugs are durable, so they are often preferred in entryways. Jute rugs trap dirt and moisture. However, they need to be cleaned immediately. Keeping it moist can cause fungus formation, and staying dirty can cause the dirt to become permanent by being pushed deep into the rug, which can cause odor. Don't worry; jute rugs are pretty easy to clean; all you have to do is shake them out, vacuum them often and let them dry if they're wet.
- Synthetic fiber rugs made of polypropylene and nylon are cheaper than rugs made from other materials. These rugs are stain-resistant and easy to clean.
The perfect rug color for entryway rugs is dark rugs. The entrance area has high traffic, as we have often mentioned. We often use this area when entering and leaving at home or transitioning to other rooms. The entryway is a space that sees a lot of coming and going, making it a breeding ground for dirt and grime. That's why when choosing a rug color for the entryway, we recommend selecting dark colors and patterns as you can hide the dirt. Yes, we know white and bright rug colors can be beautiful, but think how hard it would be to clean them up, so stay away from light rugs colors as much as possible!
The entranceway is the first area where the guests coming to the house are greeted; this area is the first part of the house that will reflect your style. For this reason, do not forget that the items you will choose while decorating will inform you about your style and the rest of the house. Of course, while decorating this area, it is essential to choose a rug according to the style of the house in general. If your house has a traditional decoration, you can decorate this area with floral or oriental rugs. If you have a modernly designed home, we recommend using modern entryway rugs in your entryway - modern bordered rugs will add simplicity and elegance to this space.
Imagine entering the house with your muddy shoes in rainy and snowy weather. If you have light-colored entryway rugs, they will probably be a little challenging to clean. That's why we recommend you to choose rugs that are easy to clean and dark-colored, which takes longer to get dirty when choosing entry rugs. We have said that the most suitable material for entryway rugs is wool rugs because they are easy to clean. At the same time, patterned rugs hide the dirt and save you a particular time until you clean the rug. Our advice is to buy an entry rug that can be thrown into the washing machine and cleaned quickly.
This article talked about choosing the most suitable carpet for the entrance. Summarize; Since this area gets a lot of traffic, it can get dirty quickly, and the rug here can wear out easily. For this reason, an entry carpet that is both durable and easy to clean should be preferred. In addition, the style of the rug is also essential, as it is the area where guests' first impressions about the house begin to form. For this reason, attention to the color, pattern, style, and shape of the carpet. Entryway rugs should create a whole with the rest of the house.
This is the end of our blog post for "How to Choose the Right Entryway Rug." If you are interested in learning more about area rugs, make sure to check out our other blog posts, such as "How to Clean Jute Rugs?" and "Best Tips for Keep Rugs from Slipping."